SCCD 31277 Strike Zone / Dave Stryker Quintet
Dave Stryker is undoubtedly one of the most talented of the younger generation of jazz guitarists today. This is the first recording by Stryker on SteepleChase.
Born in Omaha, Nebraska on March 30, 1957, Stryker has been playing guitar since he was 10. Unsurprisingly he started out on rock guitar but soon turned to jazz because of George Benson and John Coltrane. Dave moved to New York in 1980 and after a short while established himself in the NY scene as one of the most sought after players playing with among others Lonnie Liston Smith, Jimmy Smith, Stanley Turrentine, Freddie Hubbard, Dizzy Gillespie.
“… The specific strengths of this album include consistently top-notch performances and a sense of contemporaneity afforded by Stryker’s attractive original compositions enhanced by a willingness to experiment with sound and stylistic approach .” (Cadence)
1. Strikezone (Dave Stryker)
2. Who can I turn to? (Newley/Bricusse)
3. I wish I knew (Harry Warren)
4. Twenty one (Dave Stryker)
5. Undercurrent (Dave Stryker)
6. Evidence (Thelonious Monk)
7. Some other time (Leonard Bernstein)
8. Going home (Dave Stryker)
9. Muddy waters (Dave Stryker)
10. My shining hour (Harry Arlen)