SCCD 31164 Violets For Your Furs / Shirley Horn Trio
It seems safe to say that Shirley Horn has now gained the popularity and recognition she deserves and that she joined the ranks of the star singers. And if you’ll excuse our boasting tone, SteepleChase takes a lot of pride in being the first record company to re-discover this great singer from the local scene of Washington D.C. to make her come-back to the major market possible.
As Nat Hentoff wrote in Modern Recording & Music in 1981, “.. Miles Davis is not a notable enthusiast of singers, but one exception was Shirley Horn, a Washington-based improviser (on piano as well)…”,
Shirley Horn was a musicians’ musician little known to the wider public until her break-through in the late 80s.
Her appearance at the famous Dutch festival at the Northsea where this recording was made was the first live encounter with the European jazz crowd whom Shirley conquered with no sweat.
1. Our love is here to stay (Richard Rodgers)
2. Georgia on my mind (George Gershwin)
3. Gee baby ain't I good to you (Hoagy Carmichael)
4. Lover man (Williams/Warfield)
5. Violets for your furs (Ram Ramirez)
6. Baby won't you please come home (Adair/Dennis)
7. My man (Don Redman)
8. More than you know (Yvain/Willemetz/Charles)
9. I didn't know what time it was (Youmans/Rose/Eliscu)