SCCD 31336 Silvering / Louis Smith Quintet
Even after the re-entry to the recording scene with his first SteepleChase recording SCCD 31096 “Just Friends” in 1978 ending his two decades’ silence since his Blue Note recording days, trumpeter Louis Smith has been hard to catch on the band stand. He chose to leave Horace Silver’s group in 1958 in favour of full time teaching job.
However, this situation is now changed for good. Louis retiring from his job as a music teacher, resumed his career as musician with this new recording which took place in Chicago October 1993. With the Windy City’s legendary tenorman Von Freeman in the backing group, Louis the hard bopper tells his story in his warm, beautiful tone with unflagging intensity and impeccable technique.
1. I'll remember April (DePaul/Raye)
2. Au privave (Charlie Parker)
3. Roadies (Louis Smith)
4. What is this thing called love (DePaul/Raye)
5. Body and soul (Johnny Green)
6. Silvering (Louis Smith)
7. Stella by starlight (Victor Young)
8. Blues for Alice (Charlie Parker)