SCCD 31362 Stardust / Dave Stryker Trio
This recording by guitarist Dave Stryker is a unusual trio with organ. But for Stryker who has played in the Jack McDuff group for a number of years, to have a groovy organist in the band is not so unusual but natural and stimulating, especially so when the organist is the 29 year old wizard of the instrument Joey DeFrancesco.
As Dave says in the liner note, this CD serves to remind us of “ what is great about jazz music ”.
“ The surging sense of swing of all three men is everywhere apparent in a set which reinforces the values of momentum and melody. This music speaks directly to its audience and is both physically and mentally satisfying .” (Mark Gardner)
1. Things ain't what they used to be (Duke Ellington)
2. You go to my head (Coots/Gillespie)
3. I'll take romance (B. Oakland)
4. Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael)
5. Eastern standard time (Dave Stryker)
6. Blues on 45th (Dave Stryker)
7. You and the night and the music (Schwartz/Dietz)
8. Nancy with the laughing face (Jimmy Van Heusen)
9. Cotton tail (Duke Ellington)