SCCD 31015 In The Tradition Vol. 1 / Anthony Braxton Quartet
Even though Braxton was counted as one of the
“ precious few artists to have emerged within the liberal boundaries of the “free” idiom with any regard for the older tradition…” (Melody Maker),
when this album came out in 1974 it stirred up quite a sensation from both “free” and “traditional” audiences and critics alike. This album together with the sequel Vol. 2 pushed him outside of the small circle of avant-garde world, for
“ he has shown for good that he can play his ass off in any context …”(The Soho Weekly News).
And it was hailed as “ outstanding album release of the year …”.(Bay State Banner).
1. Marshmallow (Warne Marsh)
2. Goodbye pork pie hat (Charles Mingus)
3. Just friends (Klenner/Lewis)
4. Ornithology (Charlie Parker)
5. Lush life (Billy Strayhorn)
6. Trane's blues (John Coltrane)